Civilian Public Service Camp (Lapine, Oregon, USA)
Lapine Civilian Public Service Camp No. 60 was located about 18 miles (30 km) west of Lapine, Oregon. It was opened in December 1942. A Bureau of Reclamation camp, its chief project was the building of an irrigation dam on the upper Deschutes River. Because of its excellent buildings capable of housing 600 men and the immensity of the project Selective Service changed it into a government-operated camp. The Mennonite Central Committee ended its operation of Civilian Public Service No. 60 on 31 December 1943, the day before it became government camp No. 128.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: A History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 294. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Lapine, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_lapine_oregon_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camp (Lapine, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_lapine_oregon_usa.