Cordell (Oklahoma, USA)
Cordell (now New Cordell), Washita County, Oklahoma, was a Mennonite trading center with a population of 3,500 in 1950 (2,867 in 2000), located in the west-central part of the state. In the early 1950s Mennonites (General Conference Mennonite and Mennonite Brethren) occupied nearly one third of the county adjoining the city on the northeast. Wheat farming was predominant. There were 65 Mennonites living in Cordell in 1950, and 2,000 within shopping distance of the city (1950). In the area there were four churches from eight to 18 miles from the city with 1,250 members, Herold and Bergtal of the General Conference Mennonites, and Bessie and Corn of the Mennonite Brethren.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 710. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Dahlenberg, Paul. "Cordell (Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/cordell_oklahoma_usa.
APA style: Dahlenberg, Paul. (1953). Cordell (Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/cordell_oklahoma_usa.