Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA)
When Lancaster County was formed in 1729, Peshtank and Derry townships took in most of the present Dauphin County, which was not organized until 4 May 1785. When the Lancaster-Harris Ferry Road was laid out in 1737, many Mennonites moved into this area, among them Andrew Hershey, Felix Landis, Jr., the Nissleys, Reesers, Mummas and Stricklers. The Stauffer congregation existed as early as 1780. In 1954 the congregations in the county were Stauffer, Shope, Strickler and Steelton, with a total membership of 278. Noah W. Risser and Clarence E. Lutz were the bishops in charge of these churches at that time. In addition to the local ministry, the rural congregations early were served by ministers traveling to Juniata County and points west and southwest.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 17. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dauphin_county_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1956). Dauphin County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dauphin_county_pennsylvania_usa.