Deverakonda (Andhra Pradesh, India)
Deverakonda, a Mennonite Brethren mission station, was located 65 miles (100 km) southeast of Hyderabad. Evangelistic work was begun in this area by John H. and Maria Voth in 1913 and government sanction for a mission station was obtained in 1918. On the premises procured, the following main buildings were erected; two residences for missionaries, church and school building, hostels for school boys and school girls, hospital, and Bible school quarters.
Resident missionaries who have been stationed here for a longer period of time are John H. and Maria Voth, Peter V. and Elizabeth Balzer, John A. and Viola Wiebe, Mary C. Wall, Helen L. Warkentin, and Rosella Toews. Among the activities of note on the station were the various church services, the work in the hospital, the conducting of a middle and primary boarding school, and of a Bible School since 1946. The Deverakonda station field, which comprises an area of 1,200 square miles had many outstations and a total communicant church membership in the 1950s of 3,000.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 46. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Lohrenz, John H. "Deverakonda (Andhra Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/deverakonda_andhra_pradesh_india.
APA style: Lohrenz, John H. (1956). Deverakonda (Andhra Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/deverakonda_andhra_pradesh_india.