Dirschau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Dirschau (also known as Trsow and Derszewo, now known as Tczew; coordinates: 54.1° N, 18.716667° E [54° 6′ 0″ N, 18° 43′ 0″ E]; population in 1852, 5,360, in 1905, 14,184, in 1943, 25,689, in 2009, 60,279) on the left bank of the Vistula River some 20 miles (33 km) south of Danzig (now Gdansk). Formerly Prussian, and since 1920 Polish, it was the seat of the headquarters of the Mennonite Central Committee/Mennonite Relief Committee Polish relief unit, 1947-1948.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 68. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Dirschau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dirschau_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1956). Dirschau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dirschau_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.