Dondi (Chhattisgarh State, India)
Dondi, a mission station (Mennonite Church (MC)), located in Madhya Pradesh, (now Chhattisgarh) India, 52 miles (85 km) southwest of Dhamtari. At the close of 1927, as a result of negotiations during the year, the mission received word from the Rani Sahib (Queen) of the Dondi-Lohara Zemindari that she had granted a permanent lease for the occupancy of four acres of land in the village of Dondi on condition that medical work be carried on in addition to other mission interests. The land transfer was made without cost. The land was free of rent, but an annual government tax had to be paid.
A. C. Brunk was appointed the manager of the Dondi mission station and plans were started at once for the construction of living quarters for Christian workers, a medical dispensary, and the missionaries' bungalow. In 1954 there were 27 members in the Dondi congregation, with O. P. Lai as pastor.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 83-84. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Lapp, George J. "Dondi (Chhattisgarh State, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dondi_chhattisgarh_state_india.
APA style: Lapp, George J. (1956). Dondi (Chhattisgarh State, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/dondi_chhattisgarh_state_india.