East Las Vegas Mennonite Church (East Las Vegas, New Mexico, USA)
By 1909 a number of Mennonites had settled in East Las Vegas, a northeastern New Mexico town that had developed one mile east of "Old Town" (West Las Vegas) along the line of the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad after that railway had been completed to the area in 1880. On 8 April 1909, J. C. Springer reported on this settlement in the Gospel Herald:
Jacob A. Heatwole, an ordained Virginia Mennonite Conference minister who had moved to Fairmount (present-day Swink), Colorado, in 1907, and would be ordained as a Bishop in the Kansas-Nebraska Mennonite Conference at La Junta in 1919, served as a visiting minister in the East Las Vegas Mennonite "colony" from 1908 to 1912. The East Las Vegas Mennonite Church was established with eight charter members and received into the Kansas-Nebraska Mennonite Conference in 1911. By 1918 the group had dispersed, and the church ceased to exist.
Unrau, Harlan D. In Pursuit of Land, Health and Mission: A History of Mennonites in the Mountain States Region. Printed in Canada by Blitzprint Inc. 2007.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Unrau, Harlan D. "East Las Vegas Mennonite Church (East Las Vegas, New Mexico, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2011. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/east_las_vegas_mennonite_church_east_las_vegas_new_mexico_usa.
APA style: Unrau, Harlan D. (December 2011). East Las Vegas Mennonite Church (East Las Vegas, New Mexico, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/east_las_vegas_mennonite_church_east_las_vegas_new_mexico_usa.