Elkton Mennonite Church (Hickory County, Missouri, USA)
Elkton Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), now extinct, located in Hickory County, Missouri, was established in 1868 by settlers from Berne, Indiana, and a few from Wayne County, Ohio. It participated in the sessions of the General Conference Mennonite Church in 1884, 1887, and 1890, but had died out by 1896. The leader of the settlement was the preacher P. S. Lehman from Berne, who continued to serve to the end, when he moved back to Berne in 1896. Some of the congregation moved to the Bethel Church in Morgan County, Missouri, others back to Berne. By 1910 practically no Mennonites were left in the settlement.
Krehbiel, H. P. History of the General Conference of the Mennonite Church of North America. 2 vols. Canton and Newton, 1898, 1938.
Gratz, Delbert. Bernese Anabaptists. Scottdale, 1953: 164 f.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 189. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Elkton Mennonite Church (Hickory County, Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/elkton_mennonite_church_hickory_county_missouri.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Elkton Mennonite Church (Hickory County, Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/elkton_mennonite_church_hickory_county_missouri.