Eugene Mennonite Church (Eugene, Oregon, USA)
Eugene Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located approximately 11 miles west of Eugene, Oregon, in the 1890s. It was founded by Amish families who came to the Eugene area from Hubbard, where they had settled about 1887. During the early years two Sunday schools were organized in this region, the one about 6 miles west of Eugene having at one time an attendance of approximately 50. Several years later the church was built and Peter Mishler was ordained bishop. Following his death, his brother J. D. Mishler was ordained bishop in 1895. Because of church difficulties and because land in other Oregon communities was preferred, the families moved away and by 1950 only one remained in the neighborhood. The church was sold and the money was used for the construction of the Hopewell Mennonite Church, near Hubbard, which was built in 1901-2.
Shetler, S. G. Church History of the Pacific Coast Mennonite Conference District. Scottdale, 1931?
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 255. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Eugene Mennonite Church (Eugene, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/eugene_mennonite_church_eugene_oregon_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Eugene Mennonite Church (Eugene, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/eugene_mennonite_church_eugene_oregon_usa.