Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Fernheim Colony, Boquerón Department, Paraguay)
Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church, located in Colony Fernheim in the Paraguayan Chaco, was organized on 5 October 1930 with 44 members, under the leadership of Nicolaus Wiebe. Its statutes, with slight modifications, were those of the Krimmer Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church of Russia, from where a large number of its members came in 1930-1931. The work of the church was carried on in complete cooperation with the General Conference Mennonite Church and Mennonite Brethren Church groups in the colony. In 1942 an adobe brick church with a seating capacity of 300 was built in the village of Waldesruh; it was remodeled in 1949. The membership of the congregation in 1953 was 171, under the leadership of Abram Harder and his assistant Johann Käthler, both of whom have rendered valuable service as leaders of the Kommission für kirchliche Angelegenheiten, the interchurch organization. In addition nine other ministers and two deacons also served the congregation. In the 1950s worship services were held twice monthly for members only, and on the remaining Sundays with the other groups. Communion and feetwashing were observed on the first Sunday of each month. Youth work and choir work were carried on regularly. The entire church actively supported the Indian Mennonite missions in the Chaco.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 325. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Wall, Bernhard. "Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Fernheim Colony, Boquerón Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fernheim_evangelical_mennonite_brethren_church.
APA style: Wall, Bernhard. (1956). Fernheim Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (Fernheim Colony, Boquerón Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/fernheim_evangelical_mennonite_brethren_church.