First Mennonite Church (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)
First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), Hillsboro, Kansas, a member of the Western District Conference, was organized in 1884 by J. S. Hirschler, who served as minister 23 years. He was succeeded by H. D. Penner, who served for 16 years. J. H. Epp became the elder in 1914, holding this position for 26 years. H. T. Unruh served as pastor 1942-1952, J. W. Nickel 1952-1954, and Elbert Koontz 1955- . The congregation, beginning with 39 charter members, in 1955 had a membership of 356. The church building was constructed in 1886, and by 1955 had been enlarged and remodeled four times, the last being completed in 1950 with a seating capacity of 500. The membership in 2008 was 297; the pastor was Randy W. Smith.
Address: 102 South Ash Street, Hillsboro, Kansas
Website: First Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 742. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Unruh, H. T. "First Mennonite Church (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/first_mennonite_church_hillsboro_kansas_usa.
APA style: Unruh, H. T. (1956). First Mennonite Church (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/first_mennonite_church_hillsboro_kansas_usa.