Flanagan Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)
The Flanagan Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), a member of the Central District Conference (formerly known as Central Conference of Mennonites), located about two miles southwest of Flanagan, Illinois, began as a Sunday school for Amish residents in the vicinity. In 1878 the congregation was organized with Christian Rediger as its pastor. Four years later a church was built. Succeeding ministers and/or bishops were Stephen Stahley 1885-1916, Joseph Zehr 1890-1934, Emanuel Ulrich, beginning service in 1918. A full schedule of regular Sunday services was carried on in 1954, with a membership of 79.
In 1999 merger discussions began with Waldo Mennonite Church and on 15 April 2001 the two congregations merged, forming Prairieview Mennonite Church. The congregation is located at the former Waldo site.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 334. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Hartzler, Raymond L.Hartzler and Sam Steiner. "Flanagan Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/flanagan_mennonite_church_flanagan_illinois_usa.
APA style: Hartzler, Raymond L.Hartzler and Sam Steiner. (2008). Flanagan Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/flanagan_mennonite_church_flanagan_illinois_usa.