Franconia Mennonite Aid Plan for Fire Insurance
Franconia Mennonite Aid Plan for Fire Insurance. As early as 1883 the Franconia Conference took action to encourage taking offerings to cover losses by fire. In 1896 a systematic attempt was made to organize a Mennonite aid plan, but it met with the disapproval of conference. In the meantime losses were not covered by offerings, and members held insurance in nonreligious fire insurance companies. In May 1935 the conference approved such an organization, and appointed a committee of four to study the proposal and draw up bylaws. A state charter was granted on 2 December 1936. The board of directors was composed of one member from each congregation. The 1954 organization was as follows: Ezra Myers, Doylestown, president; Ernest R. Clemens, Lansdale, secretary; and Henry A. Bishop, Blooming Glen, treasurer. In 1954 the Aid Plan listed 1,200 members and $11,000,000.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 367. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Clemens, J. C. "Franconia Mennonite Aid Plan for Fire Insurance." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/franconia_mennonite_aid_plan_for_fire_insurance.
APA style: Clemens, J. C. (1956). Franconia Mennonite Aid Plan for Fire Insurance. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/franconia_mennonite_aid_plan_for_fire_insurance.