Germfask Mennonite Church (Germfask, Michigan, USA)
The Germfask Mennonite Church (earlier also known as Fernland Mennonite Church), part of Mennonite Church USA, is located near Germfask, Schoolcraft County, Michigan. It began as a mission station under the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite District Mission Board. In the spring of 1938 it was organized into a congregation with Chester C. Osborne serving as pastor. He resigned in October 1947, and Bruce Handrich was ordained and continued as pastor. The congregation met in a school building until 1941, when they built the church. The congregation has worshiped in their fellowship hall because the sanctuary only seats 60 people. The membership in 1955 was is 24. This is the first Mennonite church to be established in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In 2006 the membership was 34; the pastor was J. D. Livermore.
Livermore, J. D. "Germfask (Mich.) Mennonite." March 2006. http://im.mennonite.net/who_we_are/congregations/documents/web%20Germfask.htm. (Accessed 15 October 2008).
Address: 7511 County Line Road, Germfask, Michigan
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 326. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Osborne, Chester C. and Sam Steiner. "Germfask Mennonite Church (Germfask, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/germfask_mennonite_church_germfask_michigan_usa.
APA style: Osborne, Chester C. and Sam Steiner. (2008). Germfask Mennonite Church (Germfask, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/germfask_mennonite_church_germfask_michigan_usa.