Gobschitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Gobschitz (Gopschitz; now Kubšice) is a village near Kromau in Moravia; here Matthiasch, the captain of Kromau, leased a house to the Hutterites, and they set up a Bruderhof, which is mentioned in the Geschicht-Buch for 1547 with other Bruderhofs. They lived here until 1602. The Geschicht-Buch comments, "In 1602 the Brethren at Gopschitz (where they lived 49 years) moved away with the Lord's good will on account of the high taxation and trouble with soldiers, which they could not endure."
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 129.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 533. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Loserth, Johann. "Gobschitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gobschitz_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.
APA style: Loserth, Johann. (1956). Gobschitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gobschitz_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.