Gotebo Mennonite Brethren Church (Gotebo, Oklahoma, USA)
Gotebo Mennonite Brethren Church, Gotebo, Kiowa County, Oklahoma, now extinct, had its beginning in 1902, when a number of families of the Mennonite Brethren Church settled in that locality and organized a church. The first pastor was Peter Richert; he was succeeded by Benjamin Wedel. A church was built in 1903. Since most of the early settlers left the community, the church was for some time almost completely dissolved, but in 1916 a number of German Baptists joined it, and John Geis became its presiding minister. The church continued as an Mennonite Brethren congregation until 1942.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 552-553. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Lohrenz, John H. "Gotebo Mennonite Brethren Church (Gotebo, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gotebo_mennonite_brethren_church_gotebo_oklahoma.
APA style: Lohrenz, John H. (1956). Gotebo Mennonite Brethren Church (Gotebo, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/gotebo_mennonite_brethren_church_gotebo_oklahoma.