Grace Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Halstead, Kansas, USA)
Grace Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, located one mile (1.6 km) west of Halstead, Harvey County, Kansas, was organized in 1877. A church was built in 1896 northeast of Halstead, and the congregation was called the "Halstead" congregation. In 1915 this building was moved one mile west of Halstead and was enlarged in 1921. In 1939 a new church building with a seating capacity for 600 was built one mile south of the old site. The past residing ministers Henry A. Schmidt and Henry A. Koehn were ordained in 1882. The latter served the congregation for 24 years. Jacob Dirks was ordained to the ministry in 1896 and served the congregation until his death in 1945, a period of nearly 50 years. Jacob P. Unruh moved here in 1920 ministering to the church until his death in 1947. Carl J. Dirks, the minister in charge in 1954, was assisted by Paul Becker, Kenneth Smith, and Arnold Wiggers. In 1954 the membership was 230.
In 2007 the membership was 273; the ministers were Marlin Unruh, Kenneth Smith, and Raleigh Koehn.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 560. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Dirks, Carl J. "Grace Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Halstead, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_church_of_god_in_christ_mennonite_halstead.
APA style: Dirks, Carl J. (1956). Grace Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Halstead, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_church_of_god_in_christ_mennonite_halstead.