Grace Mennonite Church (Albany, Oregon, USA)
Grace Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in Albany, Linn County, Oregon, a member of the Pacific District Conference, was organized 29 June 1931 with 21 charter members, led by John M. Franz, P. R. Aeschliman, and A. J. Neuenschwander. The membership of 117 in 1954 worshiped in a frame meetinghouse which had previously been a Presbyterian church. Ministers who served the congregation included W. Harley King, William Augsburger, John M. Franz, P. A. Kliewer, Henry U. Dalke, E. J. Peters, and Herbert King. The Pacific Conference held its session here in 1947.
Dissension within the congregation in the 1950s led to the departure of many members. On 10 November 1968 the congregation of 57 members disbanded. The majority joined the Evangelical Church of North America.
Lind, Hope Kauffman. Apart & Together: Mennonites in Oregon and Neighboring States, 1876-1976. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1990: 156-157.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 560. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kliewer, P. A and Sam Steiner. "Grace Mennonite Church (Albany, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_mennonite_church_albany_oregon_usa.
APA style: Kliewer, P. A and Sam Steiner. (2008). Grace Mennonite Church (Albany, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_mennonite_church_albany_oregon_usa.