Grace Mennonite Church (Dallas, Oregon, USA)
Grace Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in Dallas, Polk County, Ore., a member of the Pacific District Conference, was an outgrowth of the Zion Mennonite Church, having been organized in 1932 with a membership of about two dozen, under the leadership of Gerhard Bergen, who served as the first pastor. The congregation, with 314 members in 1955, worshiped in a modern church building which seated about 300. Ministers who served this congregation included H. E. Widmer, Homer Leisy, John Hiebert (supply pastor), Jacob J. Regier, Earl M. Peterson, J. M. Franz, and H. D. Burkholder (from 1 August 1955).
At the end of the 1990s the congregation withdrew from the General Conference Mennonite Church and became an independent congregation known as the Grace Community Church.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 560-561. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Janzen, W. W. "Grace Mennonite Church (Dallas, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_mennonite_church_dallas_oregon_usa.
APA style: Janzen, W. W. (1957). Grace Mennonite Church (Dallas, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_mennonite_church_dallas_oregon_usa.