Grace Mennonite Church (Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA)
Grace Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) of Lansdale, Pennsylvania, began in 1928 as a mission work with Thursday evening meetings in private homes for Bible study and prayer. In 1929 this group purchased and renovated an abandoned church on Mount Vernon Street, which was still in use in the 1950s. In 1930 the congregation was organized and the first Sunday school and worship meeting was held in the church.
Most of the 45 charter members were members of the Deep Run church who were living in Lansdale. In 1954 the membership was 290. Ministers through the 1950s included D. J. Unruh 1930-1936, Olin A. Krehbiel 1937-1946, J. J. Plenert 1946-1953, and Elmer Friesen 1954- .
Over the years the congregation has had a healthy spiritual and numerical growth. A number of the young people have entered Christian service. A larger meetinghouse was built in 1956 at York and Mitchell Avenues. In 2007 the membership was 235; the pastor was Marc Hershberger.
630 York Avenue
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 561. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Fretz, J. Herbert. "Grace Mennonite Church (Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_mennonite_church_lansdale_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Fretz, J. Herbert. (1957). Grace Mennonite Church (Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grace_mennonite_church_lansdale_pennsylvania_usa.