Grigoryevka (Kharkivs’ka oblast’, Ukraine)
Grigoryevka was a Mennonite village in the Ukraine on the southern railway, in the Ezum district of the province of Kharkov; the post office and railway station was Gavrilovka five miles (eight km) distant. It was founded in 1889 by Mennonites from the leased villages of the Fürstenland Mennonite settlement and had an area of about 8,000 acres, on which 41 farms were set up. The land was very fertile and the settlement prospered economically as well as culturally. In 1904 a community steam mill was built and from 1906 to 1925 a secondary school in addition to the primary school was maintained. The settlement had 52 farms with 567 inhabitants in 1925. In 1918 Grigoryevka was the scene of fighting between the German and Russian armies. In 1918-1920 it was overrun by robber bands, finally by Makhno's bands. Under the Soviet government many emigrated to other parts of Russia, and some reached Canada. By 1927 Grigoryevka had ceased to exist as a Mennonite settlement.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 175.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 582. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Funk, Heinrich. "Grigoryevka (Kharkivs’ka oblast’, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grigoryevka_kharkivs2019ka_oblast2019_ukraine.
APA style: Funk, Heinrich. (1956). Grigoryevka (Kharkivs’ka oblast’, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grigoryevka_kharkivs2019ka_oblast2019_ukraine.