Groffdale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA)
In 1895 a frame meetinghouse was built a mile west of the original Groffdale house, for the Martinite division. Joseph O. Wenger and Aaron Z. Sensenig were the bishops in 1955; Isaac N. Zimmerman and Eli Hursh, ministers; and Benjamin Hoover, the deacon. This group has no Sunday school, summer Bible school, evangelistic meetings, nor youth activities. It had 325 members in 1955.
The Weaverland Conference group (Old Order Mennonite), who separated from the above in 1926, differing chiefly in permitting the automobile and home conveniences and English preaching. Moses Horning and Joseph Hostetter were bishops in 1955; Abram Hoover and Samuel Martin, ministers; and Eli Nolt, deacon. The two groups had well over 400 members at that time.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 587. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Groffdale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/groffdale_old_order_mennonite_meetinghouse_leola.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1956). Groffdale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/groffdale_old_order_mennonite_meetinghouse_leola.