Grulla Mennonite Brethren Church (LaGrulla, Texas, USA)
The Grulla Mennonite Brethren Church, the only Protestant church in LaGrulla, Starr County, Texas, in 1955 a village of 1,800 Latin Americans. It is a member of the Latin America District of the Mennonite Brethren Church, organized with 12 members on 22 May 1948, under the leadership of the missionary and pastor Ruben Wedel, who was still serving in 1955. The membership in 1955 was 42, most of whom were poor. The first meetinghouse, a new garage which seated about 100, was replaced by a new church dedicated in 1950. Five baptismal services had been held by 1955. In 2008 the pastor was Aaron Hernandez.
Address: 111 Main Street, LaGrulla, Texas
Denominational Affiliation: Latin America District, U. S. Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 602. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Wedel, Ruben. "Grulla Mennonite Brethren Church (LaGrulla, Texas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grulla_mennonite_brethren_church_lagrulla_texas.
APA style: Wedel, Ruben. (1956). Grulla Mennonite Brethren Church (LaGrulla, Texas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/grulla_mennonite_brethren_church_lagrulla_texas.