Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)
Hammer Creek, Pennsylvania Mennonite Church, a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. Until 1819 the Mennonites of the Hammer Creek-Denver district met in eight private homes for worship. Deacon Christian Eby was successful in keeping the children of members for the church during and after the Revolutionary War. The first two bishops were both named Christian Bomberger. From this congregation came Bishop Peter Eby of the Pequea and Bishop Benjamin Eby and the Ebys, Snyders, Brubakers, etc., who emigrated to Ontario in the first two decades of the 19th century. Since 1913 the congregation has had a large brick church. Amos S. Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman were bishops in 1954, Noah Hurst and Parke Heller ministers, and J. Henry Eshleman deacon; the membership was 182.
Address: 1 Lititz Road, Lititz, PA 17543
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 644. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hammer_creek_mennonite_church_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1956). Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hammer_creek_mennonite_church_pennsylvania_usa.