Harderwijk (Gelderland, Netherlands)
Harderwijk, a town (1947 population, 11,124, with 15 Mennonites; 42,057 in 2007) in the Dutch province of Gelderland, was once the seat of a small Flemish Mennonite congregation. In 1649 the congregation sent no representative to the Flemish conference at Haarlem; it is thought to have had no ministers at that time. Apparently it died out soon after. Of its history nothing is known. About 1540 there were some slight traces of Anabaptism in this town.
Lambers, C. Hille Ris. De Kerkhervorming op de Veluwe. Barneveld, n.d., 1890: 23, 36, 75, CIX, CXII-CXVII.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 661. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Harderwijk (Gelderland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/harderwijk_gelderland_netherlands.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1956). Harderwijk (Gelderland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/harderwijk_gelderland_netherlands.