Harleysville (Pennsylvania, USA)
Harleysville, a town situated in Lower Salford Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, on Route 63 at the intersection with State Route 113, population 900, named after Samuel Harley who built a tavern here in 1790 and is regarded as the founder of the town. It is surrounded by a Mennonite rural community; within shopping distance there are six Mennonite churches: Salford (Mennonite Church) with 425 members, Franconia (Mennonite Church) with 845 members, and Towamencin (Mennonite Church) with 223 members, Eden Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite) with 275 members, a Mennonite Brethren in Christ church with 59 members, and the Calvary Mennonite Church (independent) with 158 members. Mennonites have lived in this area for two hundred years. Christopher Dock, the pioneer Mennonite schoolmaster, bought a farm a few miles from this place from the sons of William Penn in 1734. The farm is owned today (1953) by Elmer Wolford, Salfordville, Pennsylvania. A white oak, labeled the "Dock Oak," is still standing on this property.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 662. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Clemens, J. C. "Harleysville (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/harleysville_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Clemens, J. C. (1956). Harleysville (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/harleysville_pennsylvania_usa.