Hebron Mennonite Church (Fulks Run, Virginia, USA)
Hebron Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) is a rural mission church located about four miles southeast of Fulks Run, Rockingham County, Virginia, under the Virginia Conference. About 1850 Abraham Brenneman, and perhaps others, moved from Linville Creek Valley into Brocks Gap, situated behind the first range of the Appalachian Mountains, about seven miles west of Broadway, Virginia. Sometime later preaching services were held near there. In 1881 the Mennonites in partnership with the United Brethren built a meetinghouse about 1.5 miles south of Fulks Run, where services were held for a number of years. The church building then passed into the hands of the United Brethren Church. Later services were again held in two schoolhouses in the same neighborhood several miles east and northeast of Mt. Carmel, the first meetinghouse. A frame building called Hebron was built in 1915 on the Shoemaker River about four miles south east of Fulks Run to serve the then growing congregation. Membership in 1954 was 66; the pastor was Lewis P. Showalter.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 684. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Showalter, Timothy. "Hebron Mennonite Church (Fulks Run, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hebron_mennonite_church_fulks_run_virginia_usa.
APA style: Showalter, Timothy. (1956). Hebron Mennonite Church (Fulks Run, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hebron_mennonite_church_fulks_run_virginia_usa.