Herbert (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Herbert is a town (population in 1955 1,200; in 2006 742) on the Canadian Pacific Railroad, 125 miles (200 kilometers) west of Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan. The first Mennonites came to this place from Manitoba in 1904. They were mainly Mennonites of the Canadian Conference (which started in 1903) and from the Mennonite Brethren Conference. Some Mennonites joined the New Jerusalem (Swedenborg) Church. In 1954 this church was bought by Lutherans. In the depression of the 1930s many Mennonites moved away. In later years the land has been irrigated. In 1955 there was a Canadian Conference church, a Mennonite Brethren church, a United church, a Lutheran church, and a Catholic church in the town. There were also Sommerfelder Mennonites, but they had no church in 1955. The Mennonite Youth Society has an Old People's Home here.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 708. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Rempel, John G. "Herbert (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/herbert_saskatchewan_canada.
APA style: Rempel, John G. (1956). Herbert (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/herbert_saskatchewan_canada.