Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA)
Hill City Civilian Public Service Camp No. 57 was located 16 miles northwest of Hill City, South Dakota. Under the Bureau of Reclamation, the camp had as its chief project the construction of Deerfield Dam for the purpose of furnishing a plentiful water supply for Rapid City and for furnishing a supplemental water supply for 12,000 acres of irrigated land in the valley downstream from Rapid City. Camp No. 57, operated by the Mennonite Central Committee, was approved 23 September 1942, and was closed 28 February 1946. It had a capacity of 200 men. During 41 months the conscientious objectors assigned to the camp spent 50,726 man-hours on the dam and when the camp was closed the project was 97 per cent complete. Deerfield Dam is in one sense a "Monument to Peace." In 1946 the men of the camp published a 60-page book presenting in pictures and text the history of CPS No. 57, under the title The Voice of Peace.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 162-168.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 741. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hill_city_civilian_public_service_camp_hill_city.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hill_city_civilian_public_service_camp_hill_city.