Hollsopple (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Hollsopple (the borough name is Benson), Somerset County, Pennsylvania, a mining village of 1,000 inhabitants in 1950 (under 200 in 2000), located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) south of Johnstown, is the post-office address for a very large part of the Johnstown district Mennonite settlement, particularly the four older congregations, viz., the Stahl (1 mile distant), Kaufman, Blough, and Thomas congregations, with a total of about 650 members (1956), and is therefore a very familiar address. It is, however, on the south edge of the settlement and is not the shopping center for the Mennonite community.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 794. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Hollsopple (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hollsopple_somerset_county_pennsylvania_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1956). Hollsopple (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hollsopple_somerset_county_pennsylvania_usa.