Huron Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)
The Huron Hutterite Bruderhof 12 miles (19.3 kilometers) northeast of Huron, South Dakota, was founded in 1906 by 10 families from the Bon Homme Bruderhof and their preacher Joseph Waldner, who was chosen to the ministry in 1905 in the Bon Homme colony. In 1911 Michael Waldner was chosen to the ministry. In 1918 the Bruderhof sold its property and migrated to Canada, founding the Huron Bruderhof in Manitoba.
In 1936 a new colony by the same name was founded as a re-formation of the abandoned colony site by part of a group from the Roseisle Hutterite Colony.
In 2012 the Huron Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Terry Waldner and the manager was Marvin Wollman.
Location: Huron, South Dakota (coordinates: 44.564167, -98.208889 [44˚ 33′ 51″ N, 98˚ 12′ 32″ W])
Address: 40068 Huron Colony Lane, Huron, SD 57350-8001
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 846. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Huron Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/huron_hutterite_colony_huron_south_dakota_usa.
APA style: Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (March 2013). Huron Hutterite Colony (Huron, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/huron_hutterite_colony_huron_south_dakota_usa.