Hutterthal Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)
The Hutterthal Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located in Hutchinson County, South Dakota, a member of the Northern District Conference (now Central Plains), was organized in 1877 by non-communal Hutterites under the leadership of John L. Wipf. The first meetinghouse was used from 1877 until 1899, when a new church was built, which was replaced by a modern brick structure in 1953. John P. Hofer, P. P. Tschetter, and Jacob B. Hofer have served as ministers. The 1954 membership was 220, largely rural. In 2008 the membership was 200; the pastor was Todd Alan Jones.
Address: 27473 437th Avenue, Freeman, South Dakota
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 867. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Unruh, John D. "Hutterthal Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutterthal_mennonite_church_freeman_south_dakota.
APA style: Unruh, John D. (1956). Hutterthal Mennonite Church (Freeman, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutterthal_mennonite_church_freeman_south_dakota.