Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)
Hutterthal was a village of the Hutterian Brethren in the province of Taurida in South Russia. They came from Vyshenka, province of Tchernigov, in 1843 and established their village on a tract of steppe-land which Johann Cornies had leased for a long time previously. At the request of the government Cornies guided the entire venture and became the best friend and adviser of the new settlers. Many were very poor, unable to provide food or shelter for themselves for the winter; Cornies secured the necessary grain as well as a loan of 15,000 rubles from the crown. In 1844, 30 houses were finished, and soon the second village, Johannesruh, founded. Economic prosperity came soon. By 1846 they had paid off their entire debt to the government. When universal military service was introduced in Russia, the Hutterites again abandoned their homes, and in 1874 immigrated to America. Their villages passed into Lutheran possession.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 384.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 867. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, David H. "Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutterthal_zaporizhia_oblast_ukraine.
APA style: Epp, David H. (1956). Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/hutterthal_zaporizhia_oblast_ukraine.