Iowa County (Iowa, USA)
Iowa County, Iowa, located in the southeastern part of the state, is bounded on the east by Johnson County and on the south by Keokuk and Washington counties, all of which contain Mennonite settlements. Amish Mennonites settled in adjoining Johnson County in 1846 and by the next decade the settlement had spread westward into Iowa County. The Upper Deer Creek Conservative Mennonite Church, the West Union Mennonite Church (MC), and the Parnell Mission sponsored by the West Union Church, are located in the southeastern part of the county. Approximately 500 Mennonites lived in the county in the 1950s.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 52. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Iowa County (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/iowa_county_iowa_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Iowa County (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/iowa_county_iowa_usa.