Irrgang (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Irrgang (also known as Hergang and Erregang; now known as Martąg; coordinates: 54.1015832, 19.058275 [54° 6′ 5″ N, 19° 3′ 29″ E]; population in 1905, 96; in 2012, 110), is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-east of Nowy Staw (Neuteich), 8 km. (5 mi.) north of Malbork (Marienburg), and 41 km. (25 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Until 1772 Irrgang was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Irrgang was located. Irrgang was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Irrgang (now Martąg) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Staw, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
Irrgang was settled by Mennonites after 1776. In 1820 there were 85 residents in Irrgang, including 6 Mennonites.
Mennonites in Irrgang were members of the Heubuden Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Martąg." Web. 15 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martąg.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 15 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2624.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Irrgang (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/irrgang_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Irrgang (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/irrgang_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.