Korzeniecer Kämpe (Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Korzeniecer Kämpe was until 1909 an island in the Vistula River on the left bank, opposite Thorn (Toruń), Germany. In the early days its population was probably exclusively Mennonite (five families: Adrian, Ewert, Funk, Gerbrandt, and Nickel). At the turn of the 20th century there were only three Mennonite families there (widow of Gerhard Dirks, H. Foth, and Nickel). All of these were members of the Obernessau Mennonite Church. In the first decade of the 20th century a part of Korzeniecer Kämpe was taken to build a stately harbor. The inhabitants had to leave their homes and move to Thorn (Toruń).
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 553.
Mennonitische Blätter (1905): 29, 39.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 228. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Neff, Christian. "Korzeniecer Kämpe (Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/korzeniecer_kampe_thorn_kuyavian_pomeranian.
APA style: Neff, Christian. (1957). Korzeniecer Kämpe (Toruń, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/korzeniecer_kampe_thorn_kuyavian_pomeranian.