Kotanopan (North Sumatra, Indonesia)
Kotanopan (Kota Nopan) was a station of the former Dutch Mennonite mission in Sumatra, Indonesia, the capital of (Klein-) Mandailing, and the seat of Dutch government officials, 15 miles (25 km) north of the mission station Pakanten, amid a strictly Muslim population. This station was opened about 1923 by P. Nachtigal. Several years later some Tobanese Christians settled here, reinforcing the young church.In 1934 it had 53 members. A church was built in 1938. About 1942 this congregation joined the Batak Christian Church.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 553.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 228-229. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Klaassen, Johann. "Kotanopan (North Sumatra, Indonesia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/kotanopan_north_sumatra_indonesia.
APA style: Klaassen, Johann. (1957). Kotanopan (North Sumatra, Indonesia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/kotanopan_north_sumatra_indonesia.