Koudum (Friesland, Netherlands)
Koudum, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland, had two small Mennonite congregations soon after 1600, one of them a Waterlander congregation, which merged in the course of the 17th century, and in 1695 had a combined membership of 80. It was always served by lay preachers. After the departure of its last preacher, Tjalling Tjallingius, in 1803 it was served by the neighboring Molkwerum; but when this pulpit also became vacant about 1813, the few remaining members joined Hindeloopen. In 1867 an independent congregation was again established at Koudum, chiefly through the efforts of Pastor Lodeesen of Hindeloopen, which, since 1870, has had a hall of its own for meetings. The congregation was served by the Hindeloopen ministers until 1942, and after then by those of Workum. A new room for a meetinghouse was acquired in 1899 and rebuilt in 1903. The membership was 31 in 1900, 36 in 1932, 26 in 1955. Church activities in 1955 included a ladies' circle and Sunday school for children.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1869): 156; (1870): 32-44, 177; (1874): 87; (1890): 137; (1903): 82, 189.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 554.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 230. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Koudum (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/koudum_friesland_netherlands.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1957). Koudum (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/koudum_friesland_netherlands.