Landisville Mennonite Church (Landisville, Pennsylvania, USA)
Herman Long's home mentioned in a deed of 1787 had by about 1752 become the home of the Landisville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA). This was on the south side of the town near the camp meeting woods. By 1790 a log meeting house was built. The third church was built of brick near by in 1855, and was replaced in 1912 by a 54 x 96 ft. structure, also of brick. The unrest of 1834 gave the Church of God a start. The congregation almost died out. Salunga became a preaching point also 1893-1953, but Landisville is now the only meeting house. It was a part of the Erisman-Hernley-Kraybill District since John Lehman's bishop district was organized, and after that its bishops always served here. Henry E. Lutz was the bishop in 1954, Christian Frank and Barton Gehman ministers, and Christian E. Charles deacon. The 1954 membership was 212. The Sunday school started in 1878, but it was not "evergreen" nor continuous at first. The young people's Bible meeting was in a four-week district circuit in 1954, with 350 in attendance.
In 2007 the member was 332.
Address: 3320 Bowman Road, Landisville, Pennsylvania
Website: Landisville Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 282. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Landisville Mennonite Church (Landisville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/landisville_mennonite_church_landisville.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Landisville Mennonite Church (Landisville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/landisville_mennonite_church_landisville.