Lenoir (North Carolina, USA)
Lenoir, North Carolina, the center of Krimmer Mennonite Brethren work among African Americans. In 1951 Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Siemens reported that the following churches had been built in North Carolina and Tennessee since the time they arrived on the field: Beach Bottom (1926), Heaton (1928), Shell Creek (1931), Bushtown (first church 1932, second church 1936), Cove Creek (1939), Elk Park (1939), Laytown (1940), Lenoir (1945), Boone (1948), and Darley (1950). A 1952 report indicated that a five-month Bible school had an average attendance of 90; the daily vacation Bible school held two weeks in each church had an enrollment of over 300 children; child evangelism classes were conducted; the Pioneer Boys, the Home Builders, and the men's Bible Club met regularly; revival meetings were held in all of the churches, resulting in nine conversions. The membership in 1955 was 235, with four ordained ministers.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 323. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Lenoir (North Carolina, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lenoir_north_carolina_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Lenoir (North Carolina, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/lenoir_north_carolina_usa.