Livingston County (Illinois, USA)
Livingston County, Illinois, Mennonite churches were the result of the expansion movements of the Amish Mennonites beginning about 1860 from the timber-stream areas to the "Gridley Prairie." The Waldo Mennonite Church was the mother church in the area; the Flanagan (General Conference Mennonite) and Meadows (GCM) and the Salem Defenseless, now Evangelical Mennonite, congregations were formed largely from dissatisfied elements from the Waldo group. The Salem Orphanage and the Meadows Old People's Home were initiated by the Defenseless group, but later received support from all the Mennonite groups. In 1954 there were approximately 1,000 Mennonites in Livingston County. The Meadows Church and the Meadows Old People's Home, which are part of the Gridley Prairie settlement, are just across the line in McLean County.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 378. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Smith, Tilman R. "Livingston County (Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/livingston_county_illinois.
APA style: Smith, Tilman R. (1957). Livingston County (Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/livingston_county_illinois.