Logan County Mennonite Church (Logan County, Ohio, USA)
The Logan County Mennonite (Mennonite Church) congregation, now extinct, was founded in 1832 in Union Township, Logan County, Ohio, several miles northwest of West Liberty, by families from Rockingham County, Virginia. Henry Kulp brought his family to Union Township in a three-horse wagon in 1831. His brother-in-law Daniel Funk followed in 1832. Daniel Funk was ordained to the ministry about 1840 and sometime later became bishop. The congregation never prospered. Some of the first families returned to Fairfield County, Ohio, and later joined the group that helped found the Salem Mennonite settlement in Allen County, Ohio. Others moved to Clay and Owen counties, Indiana, where some of their descendants have become ministers in the Methodist and United Brethren churches. Those who remained in Logan County united with the German Baptist congregation southwest of Bellefontaine.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 386. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Umble, John S. "Logan County Mennonite Church (Logan County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/logan_county_mennonite_church_logan_county_ohio.
APA style: Umble, John S. (1957). Logan County Mennonite Church (Logan County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/logan_county_mennonite_church_logan_county_ohio.