Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church (Los Angeles, California, USA)
The Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church was located at 8109 South Hoover Street, a member of the Pacific District Conference. It was organized on 22 June 1924, with an initial membership of 41 persons, and met in rented locations until the first meetinghouse was erected, dedicated 18 February 1940. The first leader was A. C. Friesen, followed by P. P. Rempel in September 1924 and a series of other ministers. The membership in 1957 was 41, with Peter Klassen as part-time pastor. There has been a considerable transient membership, with no large permanent Mennonite Brethren residential group in Los Angeles.
The church closed in 1957 as the demography of the area changed. An increasing number of minority groups moved into the area, and the "white flight" included members of the congregation.
Enns-Rempel, Kevin. "Urbanization of California Mennonites." Bridging Troubled Waters: the Mennonite Brethren at mid-Twentieth Century, Paul Toews, ed. Winnipeg, Man.; Hillsboro, Kan. : Kindred Productions, 1995: 225.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 396. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Wall, P. F. "Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church (Los Angeles, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/los_angeles_mennonite_brethren_church_los_angeles.
APA style: Wall, P. F. (1957). Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church (Los Angeles, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/los_angeles_mennonite_brethren_church_los_angeles.