Mennonite Bookstore (Newton, Kansas, USA)
Mennonite Bookstore, Newton, Kansas, was opened on 19 October 1946 at 710 Main Street by the General Conference Mennonite Board of Publication to serve as its retail outlet for the western United States, having had its beginning as the book department of the Mennonite Publication Office. In 1953 the bookstore management was integrated with the Mennonite Publication Office, whose manager then became manager also of the Bookstore. In 1957 an assistant manager was appointed to care for the store. The store was moved to 720 Main Street in March 1955. Managers of the store have been J. M. Suderman 1946-1949, A. F. Tieszen 1949-1953, Abe M. Wiebe 1953-1956, Walter D. Unrau 1956- , Carlyle D. Groves (assistant manager) 1957- .
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1106. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Shelly, Maynard. "Mennonite Bookstore (Newton, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/mennonite_bookstore_newton_kansas_usa.
APA style: Shelly, Maynard. (1959). Mennonite Bookstore (Newton, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/mennonite_bookstore_newton_kansas_usa.