Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church (Shelbyville, Illinois, USA)
Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church is an independent congregation in Shelby County, near Shelbyville, Illinois. The Amish first moved to the county in 1907 from Elkhart County, Indiana, in order to be under the direction of John D. Kauffman, who preached while in an unconscious state. Kauffman was ordained to the office of bishop in 1911. Joseph Reber, who was ordained minister of the congregation in 1912 and chosen to succeed Bishop Kauffman in 1914, was still serving in 1958. The membership of Mt. Hermon in 1957 was 41, with D. M. Ulrich and Christy Christner as ministers.
In 2011 the congregation had 15 members and it was a member of the Amish Mennonite Churches.
Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2011. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2011: 33.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1110. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church (Shelbyville, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/mount_hermon_amish_mennonite_church_shelbyville_illinois_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (April 2012). Mount Hermon Amish Mennonite Church (Shelbyville, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/mount_hermon_amish_mennonite_church_shelbyville_illinois_usa.