Ohio-Indiana (Wisler) Mennonite Conference
The Old Order Mennonites (also known as Wisler Mennonites) of Ohio and Indiana divided into two factions in 1907, with a majority of members in both states identifying with a less traditional group that retained the name of Wisler Mennonites, but eventually became more formally known as the Ohio-Indiana Mennonite Conference. The central issues were the use of telephones and English preaching, which the majority Wisler group allowed. In 1924 the Wisler group also approved the ownership of automobiles. A large group of Wisler Mennonites in Ohio withdrew in 1973 and organized the Ohio Wisler Mennonite Conference.
In 1994 the Ohio-Indiana conference had approximately 637 members.
Scott, Stephen. An Introduction to Old Order and Conservative Mennonite Groups. People's Place Book #12. Intercourse, PA: Good Books, 1996: 72.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Ohio-Indiana (Wisler) Mennonite Conference." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2010. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/ohio_indiana_wisler_mennonite_conference.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2010). Ohio-Indiana (Wisler) Mennonite Conference. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/ohio_indiana_wisler_mennonite_conference.