Old Colony Mennonite Church (Drayton, Ontario, Canada)
In 1974 a small group of Old Colony Mennonites began meeting in a building made available by the Old Order Mennonites 10 km. west of Kitchener, Ontario. In 1983 a church building was purchased in the town of Heidelberg. Soon after, Aeltester Cornelius Quiring left the Old Colony Church and founded the New Reinland Mennonite Church of Ontario, taking control of the church building. The Old Colony congregation that had been meeting in the Heidelberg church then rented a high school in Elmira for a time. In 1991 the church building formerly owned by the Berea Mennonite Church was purchased in Drayton, Wellington County, seating 350, and including a cemetery.
Dyck, Peter and Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 163-167.
Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012..
Address: 7902 Wellington Rd 7, Alma, ON N0G 1P0
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Drayton, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/old_colony_mennonite_church_drayton_ontario_canada.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Drayton, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/old_colony_mennonite_church_drayton_ontario_canada.