Old Colony Mennonite Church (Walsingham, Ontario, Canada)
Old Colony Mennonites from Mexico began immigrating to Ontario in the 1950s, establishing churches in Aylmer in 1957 and Wheatley in 1965. Eventually, a number of families settled in the Norfolk County area of southwestern Ontario, near Simcoe on the north shore of Lake Erie and 40 km. from Aylmer. The Old Colony Mennonite Church in Walsingham was established in 1974. An old building had been purchased in 1973 and renovated. It was dedicated on 19 January 1974. Further renovations were undertaken in 1995, expanding seating to 300.
In 2010 the Old Colony Mennonite Church (Alt-Kolonie Mennonitengemeinde) had 300-400 members and was led by Bishop Herman Bergen. Services were in both Low German and High German.
Dyck, Peter and Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 163-167.
Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012. http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/cms-filesystem-action/pdfs/german-cdn/101217-1.pdf.
Address: 2043 Main Street, Walsingham, ON N0E 1X0
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Walsingham, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/old_colony_mennonite_church_walsingham_ontario_canada.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Walsingham, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/old_colony_mennonite_church_walsingham_ontario_canada.