Ostrog (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine)
Ostrog (50° 20′ 0″ N, 26° 31′ 0″ E) a town formerly in Volhynia near which Prussian Mennonite settlers from the Graudenz area settled in 1801-1812; they had first settled in 1787 at Michalin, (sometimes called Deutsch-Michalin) southwest of Kiev. The first village settled was Karolswalde, four miles (6.4 km.) south of Ostrog. Ultimately the settlement was composed of 9 villages, most of them south of Ostrog. Virtually the entire group emigrated in 1874 to Canton and Pawnee Rock, Kansas, and Avon, South Dakota.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1113. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Ostrog (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/ostrog_rivne_oblast_ukraine.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Ostrog (Rivne Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/ostrog_rivne_oblast_ukraine.