Petershagen (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Petershagen (now known as Żelichowo; coordinates: 54.2395, 19.1455 [54° 14' 22" N, 19° 8' 43" E]; population in 1905, 507; in 2012, 510) is located approximately 3 kilometres (2 miles) north-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 17 km. (11 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 24 km. (15 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 36 km. (22 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Petershagen was established in 1328. Until 1772 Petershagen was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Petershagen was located. Petershagen was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Petershagen (now Żelichowo) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship
Petershagen was a part of the Tiegenhagen congregation. There the Mennonites of the Gross-Werder were in 1768 required to build a Catholic chapel on the Moskenberg and maintain it for all time in return for the permission granted by the Bishop of Culm (who in the name of the king of Poland exercised ecclesiastical sovereignty) for the erection of their own chapels in Tiegenhagen, Ladekopp, Fürstenwerder, and Heubuden. The newly built Catholic chapel was burned down by lightning in 1788 and was not rebuilt. The obligation was then met with a gift of money.
The 1776 Prussian census lists 63 Mennonite families in Petershagen with the following surnames: Claassen, Dick, Ens, Epp, Esau, Friese, Friesen, Ginter, Goertz, Hamm, Jantzen, Kraecker, Lepp, Loewen, Mantler, Martens, Neufeld, Olfert, Pauls, Penner, Peterckau, Peters, Quiring, Rahn, Rederkampf, Reimer, Rempel, Rompel, Schulz, Steffen, Thiessen, Toews, Wall, Warkentin, Wiens, and Zacharias. In 1820, Petershagen and Pendelmuehle were inhabited by 366 residents, including 208 Mennonites. In 1868 the village had 87 włókas and 4 morgas (1,564 hectares) of land, 60 houses, and 472 residents, including 143 Mennonites.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 355.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Żelichowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 21 December 2012.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 29 September 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 155. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kl, M. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Petershagen (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/petershagen_pomeranian_voivodship_poland.
APA style: Kl, M. and Richard D. Thiessen. (December 2012). Petershagen (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/petershagen_pomeranian_voivodship_poland.